Sunday, November 8, 2015

The Doors (1965-1972)

Despite having a short timeline of music, The Doors managed to drift into the psychedelic era without a problem. I always saw The Doors as Nirvana mixed with The Rolling Stones. The band's rebellious vibe they set out isn't exactly my favorite thing about them, but hey, they play good music. Although they aren't my favorite, there are at least SOME pros about them.

The keyboard really glues everything together with their songs.  Honestly, I doubt they could've gotten popular without that ''odd'' feel the keyboards gave them.

I wouldn't exactly see them as an 'Influential' band. Their lyrics aren't worth studying. (Honestly I think Morrison was too stoned to write good lyrics with actual meaning.) I see them as more of a fun band. Imagine a Doors record emitting through the room when you had a rather tough day, that right there is an ideal scenario for a good time to listen to them.

Their discography is very slim. They weren't around for long, I gotta say. But when they were around, they were a very enjoyable band. Their live performances are super hilarious to watch, for example:
-Jim Morrison: Jim was really something else. In my opinion, he wasn't really as ahead of his time than people say he was. But he was a really mediocre kind of guy. I'm not really a fan of him, yet I don't hate him. His voice really stood out for The Doors, it personified the group. All in all, I always saw him as a drugee who thinks he made a difference in the world.
-Ray Manzarek: As I said before, the keyboards really shaped up the sound in this band. And this organ player really did an astounding job with it. A very classically gifted keyboardist, indeed.


-John Densmore: This drummer is pretty skillful. His fills are well executed most of the time. And his style is very conservative. His beats sound like any ordinary jazz percussionist, but he does them well.



-Robby Krieger: Now this guy isn't no Hendrix, but I give him credit. He dealt with all the member's problems like nothing. If there was an argument, he solved it in no time. He's an 'ok' guitarist. Not really a unique style, but I like him. He's alright.

The Doors are a very joyful band that really gets you up if you're down. I highly recommend them if you enjoy classic rock from the 60's. They defined the psychedelic era, with all the hippies and ''Flower Power''.

Rate:
6 Peace Frogs out of 10

( Quick Sidenote: When I rate the bands, the object I'm rating them with has to do with a song or an album they made. Hence the song ''Peace Frog''. So for the rcord, I'm not just putting whatever comes to mind LeL)










3 comments:

  1. I never really listened to much by the Doors, but after seeing this post I think I'll give some of their stuff a shot. Maybe you could do The Who next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strongly considering doing The Who. And yeah, you should start listening to The Doors, they remind of The Who.

      Delete
  2. Never heard of this band, probably because they dident last very long, but if you say there good mayby ill give them a shot, and mayby you could do rainbow or mayby black sabbath in the next post

    ReplyDelete