Saturday, November 14, 2015

The Rolling Stones (1962-Present)

Disregarding the fact that the Stones basically mimicked everything the Beatles did, I think these guys are creative. They've always been known as the "bad boys" of classic rock, which I don't see it. Sure, they did tons of bad drugs, but they shouldn't be known for that. They should be known for how they copy bands. Don't get me wrong, I really like their songs. But they literally plagirazed the little "Boy Band" concept. Take this, for example, In 1964, The Beatles make thier debut in America, one year after, The Stones come to America. In 1967, The Monkees go psychedelic, around a week later, The Stones go psychadelic. Even in these days, thay came back performing after all the same bands started again.

They are most certainly not my favorite. If I had a top 100 favorite classic rock bands list, they'd be situated in the 70-80 area. So yeah, I'm not a fan. Having said that, I think their music is alright.

As an example, their song "Sympathy For The Devil" is genius. If you listen to the lyrics it really changes the perspectiveon what you think Satan really is. He isn't some demon monster guy with horns, he's seen as a suave person who is cruel inside.
There are many songs of theirs that contain a lot of symbolism, and that's one thing that makes them alright.

Members:

-Mick Jagger: This guy perfectly defines "A ladies man". He slept with around 4,000 women (And David Bowie, but that's just a rumour.). Sexual facts aside, his voice isn't my favorite. I find it whiny and fraud. He forces it too much and it just sounds like a screaming baby. He seems like a nice guy though.

-Keith Richards: I don't know how Keith is still alive to be honest. He's done so many illegal drugs it's not even humanly possible. I find his guitar playing to be very vibrant. His solos are so colourful, that you can basically feel the energy from it. It really gets you hyper. It's almost magical. But you know what else is magical? the fact that he's STILL doing drugs at his age and is still full of life. I tell ya, it's crazy how his lungs stilll work.


-Brian Jones: After his rather quick death in 1969, I belive the band went downhill. Brian was really the pillars of the Rolling Stones. His songwriting skills are absolutely brilliant. But I'm certain drugs were involved with him as well.


-Charlie Watts: A frugal drummer, his fills could be a lot better. His beats could be a bit more complex. But hey, he isn't too bad.


-Ronnie Wood: Not really familiar with him, but I hear he has a talk show. I don't like the fact that he just squeezed into the band after Brian died, but he's a fun musician.

To conclude, They aren't the best, but they're not the worst. They don't have much originality media-wise, but musically, they're extremely innovative. They're also one of the longest lasting groups of music history.

Rate:

5 Brown Sugars out of 10























3 comments:

  1. Awesome Blog with a great, solidly defended opinion throughout. Even though I'm not a music aficionado, I'm really getting into your band histories. Now how far back are we going for all this classic Rock? Are we going to talk Beatles? And are we going to talk bands with dark histories, such as Nirvana?

    Constructively:

    Source of some of your info?
    Some spelling issues (ex. woul, rcord, Lel, etc.)
    I love your ranking system, but some of your images are not aligned with others, giving the whole thing an unprofessional look.
    Your title fades into your guitar image.
    Some of your text spacing is off.

    Great, great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rolling stones, not one of my favorite bands but i can see why peaple must really like this band, i cant wait to see what your next post is about, great work

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bands are not my things at all. I more enjoyed reading this post, but its not my toped favorite. But I am curious about what happened to them.

    ReplyDelete